Tuesday, February 23, 2010

J.Crew's Drexler Talks Fashion with Charlie Rose

Over at
The Charlie Rose episode took "a look into the world of fashion" with guests Cathy Horyn (of The New York Times), Narciso Rodriguez (designer), Roberta Myers (Editor-in-Chief of ELLE), and of course Millard Drexler, (CEO of J.Crew). A lot of great questions were asked of the guests. The following are some responses from Mr. Drexler that I found interesting:
  • I live a very narrow life in the world of J.Crew and Madewell.
  • I sometimes think we’re in a different business. We design, we develop, we create and we very much evolve. It is kind of sharpening the edge, it’s getting rid of the older, bringing in the new, but it’s a business first and foremost, and in our business it’s a true partnership between design and merchandising as investments in clothes. Because without the profit, the sales, the growth, it’s not a lot of fun, especially if you are a public company.
  • And you know, I also look at it, because I’m in a different world. It’s not a design world. I look at the prices and I look at what the real people pay in the world. We’re talking here about, and I didn’t want to be the biggest. I think better is better, not bigger is better.
  • Madewell tends to skew younger than J.Crew, but I like timeless because I think a great product will wear well on a young person, and by the way what is going on today is all the young kids are not shopping their mother’s closets any more, they are shopping their father’s closets. So I, you know.
  • ...our best-selling men’s shoe, the Macalister -- we lowered it to size five now because we sell one-third to women. Instead of just to men. Our washed shirts, J.Crew, our buttoned down washed shirts, we went to extra small this season.
What are your thoughts on the interview? Were there any pieces of information that you found particularly interesting? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment